Proposal: Menu Spec Changes

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sat Jul 19 22:04:51 EEST 2003

On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 08:57:22PM +0200, Heinrich Wendel wrote:
> First of all i have written a menu.dtd, if nobody complains i'll upload it
> very soon. (http://www.cojobo.net/~h_wendel/stuff/menu.dtd)

Sounds good. I'm not qualified to say whether the dtd is right, but if
someone else can comment that would be good.

> The second thing i want to propose is based on this dtd. Move should only be
> allowed to contain one pair of Old-New Elements in this order, otherwise it
> cannot be validated correctly (and it makes more sense).

That would be OK, if it's useful for the dtd.

> An item about what i am not sure, but which could make sense:
> If you take a look at the second example in the menu spec, you have a menu
> called "Applications" and the submenus "Preferences" and "Office". But if I
> look at my kde menu for example I have not one toplevel menu, but about 10
> (utilities, system, games ...). The problem here is that a xml file has to
> have on root element. So I would propose to change the root element to
> xdg-menu. This root element may contain every element the <Menu> element may
> contain but <Name>, <Directory>, <(Not)Deleted>, <(Not)OnlyUnallocated),
> <Include>, <Exclude>. This root element would define a global scope, in
> consequence i would drop the recursive scope from the specification(i. e.
> "Next, add to the pool the entries for any <AppDir>s specified by ancestor
> <Menu> elements"). I hope you understand what i mean ;)

No global scope! ;-) We've discussed this a number of times. It really
makes things broken if you have a global scope, and it does not add
any benefit.

For the kde or gnome menu, the root menu item is the actual menu
button (K icon, foot icon, or Applications on the gnome menu panel).
Then the children of the root item appear as toplevels in this menu.

> The third is what i posted already in an earlier post, to extend the
> categories:
>
> LogicGame (A logic game)
> KidsGame (A game for kids)
> Debugger (A code debugger)
> Documentation (FAQs, HOWTOs and other documents and software needed to browse
> documentation)
> Geologie (Geologie software)

Should be "Geology"

> MedicalSoftware (Medical software)
> Biologie (Biological software)

"Biology"

> 3DGraphics (Application to create/render 3D Graphics)
> Viewer (Application to view a graphic)

ImageViewer?

> Burning (Application to burn CD/DVD's)

DiskBurning? Something more explicit.

> AVPlayer (Audio/Video Player)

Spell it out, AudioVideoPlayer

> AudioMixer (Audio Mixer)
> AVRecorder (Audio/Video Recorder)

Spell out

> AudioSequencer (Audio Sequencer)
> AVEditing (Audio/Video Editing software)
> AVConversion (Audio/Video conversion tool)

Spell out

> WebBrowser (A webbrowser)
> InstantMessaging (An instantmessaging client)
> IRCClient (An IRC client)
> Newsreader (A newsreader)
> FileTransfer (A tool for filetransfers)
> Mail (Application to manage E-mails)
> RemoteAccess (A tool to remotly manage a PC)
> Finance (Application to manage your finances)
> Database (Application to manage a database)
> Chart (Application to build charts)
> PDA (Application to manage your PDA)
> FileManager (A filemanager)
> Engineering (Engineering software)