Xdg-list digest, Vol 1 #432 - 11 msgs

George jirka at 5z.com
Wed Jul 23 19:51:51 EEST 2003

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 12:19:47PM +0200, David Faure wrote:
> Yes - what about splitting glib? IMHO it's fine to have a lib that provides
> linked lists and other containers, for C programs and libraries (if it is indeed
> proven that low-level libraries like Xr, freetype or Xft will want to use it).
>
> But declaring as "standard" a library that patches up an incomplete home-made object
> concept on top of a language that doesn't support objects, is nonsense: if people
> want to use objects, they have a real OO programming language for that: C++.

Could we stop with the personal opinions of what is 'the way to do things'?
Obviously I have a different opinion of the above.  But it is my opinion.  I
know it to be just that and not some statement from the bible.  'The way to
do things' is based on the way you like to work and the way you think.

> Between this and the "LSB wants to standardize on GTK" news, it's a bit difficult
> not to see political agendas being pushed.... Can we stick to the old status quo
> instead of trying to push our technical solutions as "standard"? I am starting
> to think that the old way worked much better for this list: we discussed shared
> specs, not shared code, and there was no such heated debate.

To me, SPECS are the TECHNICAL SOLUTIONS.  Implementations are just something
somebody did to implement the SPEC.  I don't care if glib is used or not.
That purely depends on whoever decides to implement the spec.  At this point
I suppose it'd be better if people didn't expose GLib in API and forced
people to write customized bindings for each such lib.  Doesn't bother me.
Also if XDG does make a platform and I don't like some lib in it.  How is
anyone going to force me to use it?  Hot pokers in my ears?

George

PS: Saying that glib is "an incomplete home-made object concept on top of a
language that doesn't supports objects" is a political agenda BTW.

--
George <jirka at 5z.com>
   A conference is a gathering of important people who singly can do