Xdg-list digest, Vol 1 #432 - 11 msgs

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Thu Jul 24 04:59:05 EEST 2003

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 06:37:51PM +0200, Martin Konold was heard to remark:
> Roberto Alsina once made rather complete C bindings for Qt.
>
> Unfortunately (for Robertos efforts) everyone finally chose to go the full
> OO/C++ way instead of keep using Qt/C.

Programers usually don't like mixing languages, even when they are
well wrapped, unless there's a big win in some way.  Note the vast
number of perl modules that duplicate perfectly adequate C libraries.
Note the considerably less-vast scheme modules that none-the-less
aspire to do the same ...

I'm guessing that this is due to a fear that the wrappers will
deteriorate, that no one will maintain them, that you'll end up
depedent on "foreigners" that don't hold your "national interests"
very highly.  Fear that these foreigners will fade away, or,
psychologically worse, become more popular than your favorite language.

--linas