Proposal: Menu Spec Changes

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Tue Jul 29 19:04:08 EEST 2003

On Monday 28 July 2003 00:10, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 02:04:46AM +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > I think the spec should provide some guidelines for prefixes as well
> > then.
>
> Yes, seems sane.
>
> > In addition for that I would like to call for
> > $KDEDIR/share/applications/kde/kghostview.desktop
> > being treated equal to
> > $KDEDIR/share/applications/kde-kghostview.desktop
> > as I mentioned in
> > https://www.redhat.com/archives/xdg-list/2003-March/msg00085.html
> >
> > Maybe we can introduce the notion of "desktop-file ID". All .desktop
> > files used here as example would then have the same "desktop-file ID",
> > namely "kde-kghostview.desktop". And the "desktop-file ID" is what is
> > used in <Include> and <Exclude> statements then.
>
> I think this is what we're calling "relative path" in the spec (see
> glossary and <Filename> definition), except adding the additional
> feature of doing a sort of "s/\//-/g" type of step?

Yes. I think that the name "relative path" may become a bit misleading
otherwise, since in the case of LegacyDir it isn't really the relative path,
but just the filename + the prefix and on the other hand you then have the
"/" versus "-".

> Given an arbitrary filename, say "gnome-help-browser", how do you know
> whether "gnome-" or "gnome-help-" is the prefix part?

You are not interested in the prefix part. The prefix is what you use to go
from the filename in a specific LegacyDir-tree to the "desktop-file ID" and
is specified as part of that specific LegacyDir.

In terms of namespace, "gnome-" is the vendor prefix, and everything beyond
that is up to that vendor to sort out. I guess it helps to avoid confusion if
no vendor prefix contains a dash in the middle.

So a policy for a vendor prefix could be something like:

"Each desktop-file ID should start with a vendor prefix. A vendor prefix
consists of [a-zA-Z] and is terminated with a dash ("-"). Open Source
projects and commercial parties are encouraged  to use a word or phrase,
preferably their name, as prefix for which they hold a trademark. Open Source
applications can also ask to make use of the vendor prefix of another open
source project (such as GNOME or KDE) they consider themselves affiliated
with, at the discretion of these projects."

Cheers,
Waldo
- --