menu editing

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Tue May 13 00:08:50 EEST 2003

Is there an especially compelling reason to implement this as "drag and
drop anywhere", other than because that's how it's always been done?

In particular, seeing as this menu system is already radically different
to, well, pretty much anything else, it might make sense to take a
different approach to menu editing also, perhaps by doing an Epiphany
and using "topics" which correlate to the keywords in use. The user
could then check or uncheck the keywords to change the placement in the
menu. Perhaps another tool which lets you visually edit the sorting
criteria as well.

This sounds rather unintuitive as I write it, but I've never used such a
thing before, so it might work. Indeed, in Epiphany keyword based
bookmarks seem to work OK, though this problem is more complex.

It'd also let me quickly remove this "More Foo" menu separation without
going through and dragging each and every item to the top level menu,
(or add it back), create new categories that newly installed apps will
sort themselves into and so on.

Otherwise, if I decide that actually I'd quite like all my "Sound &
Video" apps to go into "My Multimedia", I'll have to keep moving them
around whenever I install an app and S&V magically reappears. Or have I
misunderstood how the present spec works?

> Does that work?
>
> Presumably a systemwide equivalent would exist also.

Wouldn't that break i18n in the case of multiple users with different
languages? Hmmm, perhaps not as the global menu names would always be in
a standard language and the directory names aren't really relevant.

I'll go back to lurking
thanks -mike