menu editing

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed May 14 00:39:05 EEST 2003

On Tuesday 13 May 2003 18:03, George wrote:
> > Currently package management doesn't really fall into the scope of menu
> > editing and I am not sure this is the right time to add it.
>
> Should not really be that hard.  Say add a X-RPM-Package=foo, then the
> menu system could present an "uninstall" button/menuitem/whatnot instead
> of delete.  Then uninstalling would of course automatically remove the
> underlying .desktop since that's part of the package, you notice that through
> fam and remove it from the menu.

I think there are cases where users want to remove a menu entry _without_
uninstalling the underlying package, though.
For instance, I might want to remove the "address book" menu entry, since I
know that I always fire up my address book from my email client...

Also, if a package installs several menu entries, uninstalling the package
(or offering to do so), would remove other entries, would be a very
unwanted side effect.

I think it's a bit wrong to think "one menu entry == one package",
that's just not the case.