menu editing

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Wed May 14 20:06:54 EEST 2003

> I'm not entirely convinced I'd call the menu editing in any version of
> Windows "very easy" :)  In-place drag and drop on the menus is fiddly in
> the extreme,

Sure, but at least it's intuitive - hmm, I want this item to appear up
there, does dragging it work? Yup.

> and using the Explorer method quickly gets tedious because
> individual apps are often buried two or three levels below the Program
> Files folder, so you have to keep drilling up and down to add all the
> apps you want to one at a time.

Yeah. Still, a VFS solution is better than nothing at all.

> Not to mention the fact you can never
> tell whether the Start menu item or submenu you want to edit is going to
> be in the "All Users/Start Menu" folder or the "<username>/Start Menu"
> folder until you go hunting for it.

That's just Windows menu crackery though, not much to do with the UI
itself...

> All I really want is a split window with a flat list of all my installed
> applications on one side, and a picture of my menu on the other side
> that I can drag them in or out of :)

Hmm, that's one I'd not thought of. Might be a bit easier too, though I
suppose under the hood it'd still need a VFS-style implementation. We
already can make lists of all installed apps very quickly, in for
instance the gnome run dialog.

Still, I'm not volunteering to write such a thing, so it's all just
bugzilla material until then.