Syncing up the MIME databases

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Wed Nov 5 00:45:48 EET 2003

On Tuesday 04 November 2003 22:18, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> I just went through the GNOME MIME database resyncing it to the
> freedesktop.org list.  I found the following MIME-types in GNOME and not
> in the freedesktop one.  I'd like to move them into freedesktop.org.xml.
>
> application/vnd.corel-draw
> application/xbel
> application/x-bittorrent
> application/x-blender
> application/x-executable-binary
OK (we currently call it x-executable in KDE)

> application/x-font-otf
> application/x-font-type1
OK, got the same.

> application/x-ipod-firmware
> application/x-macbinary
> application/x-mozilla-bookmarks
> application/x-ms-dos-executable
Hehe, we called it application/x-msdos-program. That's not too consistent,
so -executable sounds ok.

> application/x-netscape-bookmarks
> audio/x-vorbis
I just read that
"audio/x-vorbis is wrong. mimetype should be application/x-ogg. see
http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp#ext and http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp#mimetype"
I don't know much about the audio stuff though.

Allan Sandfeld Jensen readded a mimetype named audio/vorbis though, as
a subtype of application/x-ogg. Not sure if that name is IANA-registered?
Allan: can you list all the x-ogg subtypes?

[...]

> Additionally, we have the following GNOME specific MIME types.  I am
> happy distributing them with GNOME, but I thought I'd look into putting
> them in the main distribution.
>
> application/x-epiphany-bookmarks
> application/x-gnome-app-info
> application/x-gnome-theme
No objections. We'll have a few too :)

> There were a few MIME-types that caught my eye as being potentially
> problematic.  First, the inode/* MIME-types need to be 'x-' escaped, if
> nothing else.  I can't find anything at the IANA that indicates the
> presence of a inode/ content type.
Well, then the whole inode subdir can be considered 'our own' anyway
(i.e. not in a namespace used by IANA). OK, a bit fishy in theory.

> Additionally, there is a text/x-csh, but .csh files will be caught by
> application/x-shellscript.  Same with zsh scripts.
x-shellscript is better imho too.