Syncing up the MIME databases

Jonathan Blandford jrb at redhat.com
Tue Nov 4 23:18:37 EET 2003

Hi Thomas,

I just went through the GNOME MIME database resyncing it to the
freedesktop.org list.  I found the following MIME-types in GNOME and not
in the freedesktop one.  I'd like to move them into freedesktop.org.xml.

application/vnd.corel-draw
application/xbel
application/x-bittorrent
application/x-blender
application/x-executable-binary
application/x-font-otf
application/x-font-type1
application/x-ipod-firmware
application/x-macbinary
application/x-mozilla-bookmarks
application/x-ms-dos-executable
application/x-netscape-bookmarks
audio/x-vorbis
audio/x-speex
audio/x-flac
audio/x-ms-asx
image/x-dcm
image/x-dib
image/x-dpx
image/x-fits
image/x-fpx
image/x-icb
image/x-sun-raster
video/x-nsv
video/theora

How is this file generated?  How are translations generated?  And for
that matter, what's up with the <comment xml:lang="xx">xx</comment>
lines?

Additionally, we have the following GNOME specific MIME types.  I am
happy distributing them with GNOME, but I thought I'd look into putting
them in the main distribution.

application/x-epiphany-bookmarks
application/x-gnome-app-info
application/x-gnome-theme

There were a few MIME-types that caught my eye as being potentially
problematic.  First, the inode/* MIME-types need to be 'x-' escaped, if
nothing else.  I can't find anything at the IANA that indicates the
presence of a inode/ content type.

Additionally, there is a text/x-csh, but .csh files will be caught by
application/x-shellscript.  Same with zsh scripts.

I'm also a bit concerned that we have MIME-types that aren't 'x-'
encoded correctly.  Would it be worthwhile cross checking the current
list with the IANA listing looking for invalid MIME types.  Similarly,
would it be interesting to seed the current list with the IANA listing?

Thanks,
-Jonathan