That 'vision' thing (Tuomas has a logo proposal)

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Wed Nov 5 16:43:55 EET 2003

On Nov 4, Keith Packard wrote:
 > One problem we've discovered with Gadget is that it is not well hinted, so
 > you get weird rendering artifacts if you don't hit one of the few sweet
 > pixel sizes (note the 'k' in the sample provided).  We can obviously pick
 > a better size for the site logo, but that still leaves it looking ugly in
 > other environments, making it unsuitable for use within the web pages.

Here's a rendering of the logo using hinted Gadget at a slightly
larger size that seems to hit one of the hints' sweet-spots, (notice
the 'k' and 'p' glyphs are no longer so distorted):

	http://freedesktop.org/~cworth/logo-samples.html

The path-based version is rendered at the same size for comparison.

Personally, I prefer the hinted version much more for the web page.

The existence of the path-based version does allow us to use it
anywhere the font is not available or where the font hints would cause
unacceptable artifacts.

-Carl

PS. Cairo rendered these. Freetype did the hinted font rasterization.