That 'vision' thing (Tuomas has a logo proposal)

Tuomas Kuosmanen tigert at gimp.org
Wed Nov 5 11:20:06 EET 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 05:30, Keith Packard wrote:
> Around 2 o'clock on Nov 5, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
>
> > It could be slightly larger though, maybe like 400 pixels or so. But I
> > think it looks nice.
>
> Ok.  I was matching the previous text-only "logo" size, but a larger logo
> matches the old text size.
>
> I've made some samples using vera instead of gadget; while the gadget font
> has a strong visual appeal in this application, I'm wondering if it would
> be nice to be able to use the same font in the logo and throughout the web
> site.
>
> 	http://freedesktop.org/~keithp/logo-samples.html

Hm. Gadget gives it nice character though. Vera is clearly a "lorem
ipsum font" meant for content and headlines and thus pretty bland
looking. And that third looks like Comic Sans. Ugh.

http://www.bancomicsans.com/ ;)

> One problem we've discovered with Gadget is that it is not well hinted, so
> you get weird rendering artifacts if you don't hit one of the few sweet
> pixel sizes (note the 'k' in the sample provided).  We can obviously pick
> a better size for the site logo, but that still leaves it looking ugly in
> other environments, making it unsuitable for use within the web pages.

What if it was just vectors and you wouldnt hint it at all? It's not
like it is text content anyway. So just use the text-to-paths version..?

Tuomas

--
Tuomas Kuosmanen <tigert at gimp.org>