Syncing up the MIME databases

Jonathan Blandford jrb at redhat.com
Thu Nov 6 21:49:15 EET 2003

Thomas Leonard <tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 01:13:35PM -0500, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> > Thomas Leonard <tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk> writes:
> >
> > > Originally by a script, but it should be done by hand now since there have
> > > been changes made to it since then.
> >
> > Oh yuck.  What about moving to an intltool-like setup so we can at least
> > move the translations out.  Putting the translations in the file makes
> > you vulnerable to the first person who edits the file with a non-UTF8
> > safe editor.
>
> Even if we have the translations in a separate file, anyone editing it
> with a non-UTF8 editor will still mess it up. True, we could set the
> charset to something else, but then anyone *with* a UTF-8 editor will mess
> it up, so I'm not seeing the advantage...

The advantage is that it splits out the translations into separate po
files.  This limits the chances of damage.  This is also a bit of a red
herring -- there are other advantages to using intltool.

 * CVS is easier to manage -- all changes to the database appear in the
   .in file.  All translation changes are isolated in the po files.

 * Uses a translation format that translators are already used to.

 * Changes in the main mime database are easy to track.

 * We can take advantage of projects like
   http://www2.iro.umontreal.ca/~gnutra/po/HTML/

 * It will make editing freedesktop.org.xml.in much easier.

> If might make for less CVS conflicts, though, and it would make it more
> obvious which translations are missing. Go ahead and split it if it seems
> worthwhile.

I'm going to go ahead and set this up then.  I'll probably just dump the
current translations and hope that people can get the po files
translated.  If the translators want the original xml file to populate
the po files, I can provide it.

Thanks,
-Jonathan