HAL 0.1 release

Bryan W. Headley bwheadley at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 10 23:13:02 EEST 2003

David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 20:56, Joe Shaw wrote:
>
>>The point is, having both category and capabilities seems to me like an
>>arbitrary distinction.
>

> Uhhmm.. yes.. but how do you determine the icon of your camera since it
> has got both camera and storage capabilities?
>
> I think it should be a camera both when it appears in the storage list
> and in the camera list.

This is all sort of insane because not all digital cameras have
mountable memory cards. Some you have to go through the Exif tag library
to pull the pictures out.

On the other hand, let's consider my multi-function printer: it's a
printer, fax, copier, scanner, AND it has a slot to plug in those camera
memory cards. (And yes, it does let me mount the cards from there,
although the intent was more to have a 'camera printer')

So what you are looking at is this:

<interface_point bus="USB" path="2-2:1.0">
   <devices>
     <device type="Printer">
       <printer-capacities> ... </printer-capacities>
     </device>
     <device type="Scanner">
       <scanner-capacities> ... </scanner-capacities>
      <!-- ... -->
     </devices>
</interface_point>

1. The responsibility to broadcast availability rests with each element
of 'devices'.
2. We're not overly concerned that all these devices come from the same
interface point. Or, physically, from the same box. Maybe the OS is,
especially if you try to copy while scanning, but that is its issue.

--
Bryan W. Headley - bwheadley at earthlink.net