HAL 0.1 release

Joe Shaw joe at ximian.com
Fri Oct 10 23:36:30 EEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 16:13, Bryan W. Headley wrote:
> This is all sort of insane because not all digital cameras have
> mountable memory cards. Some you have to go through the Exif tag library
> to pull the pictures out.

Yes.  That's partly the point of the capabilities.  Those specific
cameras would only support "Camera" and not "Storage".

> On the other hand, let's consider my multi-function printer: it's a
> printer, fax, copier, scanner, AND it has a slot to plug in those camera
> memory cards. (And yes, it does let me mount the cards from there,
> although the intent was more to have a 'camera printer')
>
> 1. The responsibility to broadcast availability rests with each element
> of 'devices'.
>
> 2. We're not overly concerned that all these devices come from the same
> interface point. Or, physically, from the same box. Maybe the OS is,
> especially if you try to copy while scanning, but that is its issue.

Not knowing really how those devices work with Linux currently, wouldn't
that be handed by something like CUPS?  ie, it's either available or
not, right?  Does this really fall into the realm of the HAL?

Joe