MIME updates

Jaap Karssenberg j.g.karssenberg at student.utwente.nl
Mon Oct 13 18:04:05 EEST 2003

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:26:03 +0100 Thomas Leonard wrote:
: Here are my proposed changes to the MIME spec. This adds
: <sub-class-of> and <alias> for KDE. It also makes a couple of other
: clarifications.
<SNIP>
: You can also find the new version on the web:
:
: 	http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~tal00r/info.html

I really like the sub class mechanism, below some random thoughts while
reading the spec.

What is the usage of aliases ? And maybe more importantly: is their
usage recommended outside KDE ?

You mention 'implicit' sub classes, maybe you could supply a definite
list of these (possibly in a machine readable format in the mime-info
database) -- or are it just the two mentioned already ?

Is there a portable way for determining whether a directory in a mount
point ?

Could the default method for deciding between application/octet-stream
and text/plain be specified in more detail, what -for example- is a sane
number of chars to check from the beginning of the file ?

--
   )   (       Jaap Karssenberg || Pardus [Larus]
   :   :       http://pardus-larus.student.utwente.nl/~pardus