Cursor conventions spec

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Fri Oct 17 20:17:08 EEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 17:37, Fredrik Höglund wrote:

> > right-arrow:	given the defintion (inverted version of default), it seems
> > 		like the name could be 'inverted-default' or some such.
>
> Another thing about this cursor is the description... right now it's just
> an observation of how Motif uses it, but doesn't make a recommendation
> either way. Do toolkit developers have an opinion about this?

GTK+ used to use the right-arrow for menus. After many complaints we
dropped this usage and I think it's whole lot better without. The
arrow changing direction when you pop up the menu makes things more
confusing and less stable.

In general, I don't think using a reversed cursor ever makes sense,
except probably for right-to-left languages, when it should always
be reversed.

Regards,
					Owen