A virtual filesystem standard

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Sep 18 20:34:50 EEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 04:28, Ken Deeter wrote:
> Would it be possible to do something like pass in some kind of reference
> to an 'authentication adapter' to the vfs backend.

Seems like more or less the right idea to me. An analagous situation
we've already been looking at with D-BUS is the systemwide case; where
the system basically sends out a "we need to auth to the VPN" message or
the like, and the user's desktop is supposed to find that message and
pop up appropriate GUI.

I have a feeling this should be the same framework as the VFS auth, and
we should also address the "cache my passwords" issue in the framework.
Obviously it needs very careful design.

Havoc