CVS move

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Sep 23 02:09:44 EEST 2003

Around 15 o'clock on Sep 22, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> cvs.freedesktop.org is set up differently; there's a separate CVSROOT
> for each project, such as D-BUS. Each repository is owned by a UNIX
> group and you can add (or not add) individual developers to the group.

I did this because we've got a lot of disparate groups sharing this
service; I want to give projects freedom over who they grant access to
without getting into inter-project politics over who's a reasonable
developer...

Handhelds.org went even further in this direction; they split out every
module into a separate group, but ended up needing to hack the kernel so
that individual users could be in more than 32 groups.  I'm hoping adding
this extra level of indirection will let us survive with standard kernels
and tools while still providing a level of intra-project self-management.

> But I have some feeling that we should have a single "specs" project with
> all the specs in it.

For specs associated with specific software packages, I'd like to see those
kept with the code.  ICCCM extensions could live in the xlibs project where
any supporting code would eventually live.  For specs which have no home,
I guess a separate project to hold them makes as much sense as anything.

-keith