CVS move

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Tue Sep 23 05:18:24 EEST 2003

Turns out that there are only a few packages with static
limits on the number of simultaneous groups: cvs is one of them.
There is one other, but I don't remember off hand.

Linux 2.5/2.6 lifts this restriction; the apps still need
patching of course to fix those static limits internal to those
apps.
                           - jim

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 22:09, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 19:09, Keith Packard wrote:
> >
> > Handhelds.org went even further in this direction; they split out every
> > module into a separate group, but ended up needing to hack the kernel so
> > that individual users could be in more than 32 groups.  I'm hoping adding
> > this extra level of indirection will let us survive with standard kernels
> > and tools while still providing a level of intra-project self-management.
> >

> Ah yes, I was wondering about that 32-group limit...
>
> > For specs associated with specific software packages, I'd like to see those
> > kept with the code.  ICCCM extensions could live in the xlibs project where
> > any supporting code would eventually live.  For specs which have no home,
> > I guess a separate project to hold them makes as much sense as anything.
>
> Makes sense.
>
> Havoc

Jim Gettys <Jim.Gettys at hp.com>
HP Labs, Cambridge Research Laboratory