pkg-config search path

Sven Neumann sven at gimp.org
Thu Sep 25 00:00:57 EEST 2003

Hi,

Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> writes:

> So how about if pkg-config uses the following default search path:
>
> 	/usr/lib/pkgconfig
> 	/usr/lib/X11/pkgconfig
> 	/usr/share/pkgconfig
>
> Then, we can ammend that path from /etc/pkgconfig.conf and further ammend
> the path with PKG_CONFIG_PATH
>
> What about /usr/lib64?  What about /usr/local/lib?

How about no hardcoded default search path at all? You failed to give
a compelling reason for extending the search path and IMO it only has
disadvantages. People often setup build environments in nonstandard
paths. Not only for cross-compilation but for example to develop
software without breaking the system they work on. If pkg-config uses
hardcoded search paths you are making this a lot more difficult if not
impossible. So, please, instead of adding more hardcoded search paths,
remove them all and introduce a configuration file that can be
overriden using an environment variable (yes, overriden, not amended).

Sven