pkg-config search path

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Sep 25 00:27:39 EEST 2003

Around 23 o'clock on Sep 24, Sven Neumann wrote:

> How about no hardcoded default search path at all? You failed to give
> a compelling reason for extending the search path and IMO it only has
> disadvantages.

That'd be fine with me, leave things looking only in /usr/lib and have all
additional path elements listed only in /etc/pkgconfig.conf.  I'd suggest
that we also look in /etc/ld.so.conf (if supported on the target system) if
/etc/pkgconfig.conf doesn't exist.  Finally, provide an environment
variable to override the location of that file (PKG_CONFIG_CONF?).

I just want a way that pkg-config will find /usr/lib/X11/pkgconfig and
/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig without a lot of fuss and bother.

> If pkg-config uses hardcoded search paths you are making this a lot more
> difficult if not impossible.

Could be; as long as we have a way to completely rewrite the configuration
path, I think whatever we do by default should have minimal impact here.

-keith