New standard proposal

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Sep 26 15:52:49 EEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 12:53, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
> There is not any problem to cooperate with the HAL project. I want it
> working, the project name os not an issue here :-)
>
> How could we start working together?

Excellent. I suppose the first thing to do is to read the current
hal draft spec and send patches to the spec for things that need to be
changed to fit with your ideas. Note that I'm ignoring /etc/fstab and
proposing that users can mount devices in their home directory if they
so desire - this might be a bit controversial.

In any case, feedback is welcome.

Second, I'll be releasing version 0.1 this weekend so people can play
around with mounting devices - I will provide a very basic GUI
(hal_watcher cf. the draft spec); hopefully someone will do this
properly in GNOME and KDE.

>From there on we can find out how to work together post version 0.1. All
the code is in CVS. I have deliberately focused on storage devices to
start with, but there is a *lot* of work remaining on some of the ideas
vented on this list; in particular the ideas about interfaces are
interesting.

> Sorry I did not start to look at it, but I know about a script [1] that
> tries to automatically mount usb-storage devices.

I'll look into this, but I still fear that we will have to ask the user
to tell what device to mount in the initial version of the GUI.. But for
a proof of concept as this is, I suppose that is fine enough. After all,
before this is production ready, distros will already be shipping 2.6 (I
hope).

Cheers,
David