Icon Theme overrides

Thomas Leonard tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Sep 26 17:26:24 EEST 2003

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 04:25:34PM +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 15:17, Thomas Leonard wrote:
> > I'm trying to add support for the icon theme spec to ROX-Filer at the
> > moment. We're using it to get the MIME icons.
> >
> > The question is, how do we let the user override icons? Before, the user
> > could set a new icon for all files of a particular MIME type (by dragging
> > an image to a dialog).
> >
> > These icons have to override the ones set in the current theme (so we
> > can't install to hicolor).
> >
> > Should we create a Custom theme (used by every application), and have the
> > theme selector change its Inherits field, or is there some other way to do
> > this?
>
> Gnome allows this (somewhat ugly) by having also an icon-name/pathname
> setting in the (per-user and systemwide) mime data.

So this is separate from the icon spec, and desktop-specific? We could do
that quite easily (ie, just fallback to our previous system), but it would
be nice to share if possible.

> Note also that the way gnome does mime icons by mapping the mime name to
> an icon name and using the icon theme spec isn't a "standard". Thats
> just the way I choose to do it in gnome. Thats why i used
> gnome-mime-xxx.

Sure. I'm using Owen's suggestion of 'mime-media:subtype'. Perhaps we can
get a few base MIME types into the default theme?

--
Thomas Leonard			http://rox.sourceforge.net
tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk	tal197 at users.sourceforge.net