Icon Theme overrides

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Fri Sep 26 17:25:34 EEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 15:17, Thomas Leonard wrote:
> I'm trying to add support for the icon theme spec to ROX-Filer at the
> moment. We're using it to get the MIME icons.
>
> The question is, how do we let the user override icons? Before, the user
> could set a new icon for all files of a particular MIME type (by dragging
> an image to a dialog).
>
> These icons have to override the ones set in the current theme (so we
> can't install to hicolor).
>
> Should we create a Custom theme (used by every application), and have the
> theme selector change its Inherits field, or is there some other way to do
> this?

Gnome allows this (somewhat ugly) by having also an icon-name/pathname
setting in the (per-user and systemwide) mime data.

Note also that the way gnome does mime icons by mapping the mime name to
an icon name and using the icon theme spec isn't a "standard". Thats
just the way I choose to do it in gnome. Thats why i used
gnome-mime-xxx.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a scrappy guitar-strumming ex-con on his last day in the job. She's a
mistrustful blonde college professor with a flame-thrower. They fight crime!