New standard proposal

Randall Wood rhwood at myrealbox.com
Fri Sep 26 18:49:05 EEST 2003

Is it just me, or is this spec attempting to define for other unixes
the standard behavior on Mac OS X/Darwin?

>> =20
>> Some random comments:
>> =20
>> /Volumes is totally non-standard and untypical of unix. Lots of people
>> will not like it. (Not saying I dislike it, personally I don't care,
>> because i don't expect to expose the mountpoint in the UI.)
>> =20
>
> I know, that's why I said that all things could be changed, I like it
> but I suppose that we will ending with /mnt or /vol but that directory
> is for applications that will not work directly with the daemon, it's a
> way to let users find their volumes easily.

/Volumes is used by Darwin/Mac OS X and is specially handled by that
OS's GUI.

>> Mounting things as the volume name seems quite bad to me. That means
>> its
>> hard to figure out what device is actually used for the volume, and
>> if a
>> user inserts an unknown disc it could be hard to figure out where it
>> appears. (Again, i don't expect to show the mountpoint names as-is in
>> the UI.)

Perhaps the spec also should define both an API for applications that
need that data and a simple tool for scripts of CLI use to query the
daemon for device data.

Incidentally, on Darwin/Mac OS X if the device to be mounted is not
defined in /etc/fstab (or the netinfo database, if the netinfo daemon
is running) anything that looks like a filesystem is placed in /Volumes
including network volumes (nfs, ftp, smb, afp, ...).

--
Randall Wood
rhwood at mac.com

"The rules are simple: The ball is round. The game lasts 90 minutes.
All the rest is just philosophy."