[Registry] Re: LinuxRegistry in Freedesktop & KDE

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Apr 19 14:41:16 EEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 12:23, Dave Cridland [Home] wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-04-18 at 19:08, Daniel M. Lambea wrote:
>
> >  * Ability to alter parts of the configuration file, while keeping the
> >   rest untouched. How many disk accesses we save now? And memory
> > consumption?
>
> Well, my guess is that a typical configuration file is less than a
> couple of blocks, so, erm, LR makes a net loss there. I could be wrong,
> but I strongly suspect that LR will take more in terms of the system's
> cache, disk space, and head movement. Laying down one single block is
> the same speed, no matter whether you're writing 4k of data or 4 bytes,
> as I understand things.

Its much worse than that. Opening a new file thats not in the cache
requires seeking and waiting on average half a rotation of the disk
head. These are things in the millisecond range, and far far slower than
reading sequential data.

Lets do some approximations given the data here:
http://storagereview.com/articles/200401/20040126WD740GD_2.html

Lets pick a really really fast HD, such as the Maxtor Atlas 15k (73 GB
Ultra320 SCSI). The average seek time to read a sector is 5.7
miliseconds, and the transfer rate is fastest 73.7 MB/sec, and slowest
55.6 MB/sec, so lets use 64.7 as average. To open a new file you need to
seek at least once (maybe more if you need to look into a new
subdirectory). In the time it takes to seek one we can read 5.7*64.7 ==
368.8 kilobytes.

For a more normal HD, lets take the Seagate barracuda ATA V (i have some
of these):

http://storagereview.com/articles/200210/20021014ST3120023A_2.html

read seek time: 13.5 ms
average transfer rate: 34.25 ms
sequentially read per seek: 462.3 KB

These are very physical limitations (rotation speed, head seek delay),
so we can't expect these to drop exponentially like memory size or cpu
speed.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a jaded gay cyborg who knows the secret of the alien invasion. She's a
cosmopolitan red-headed opera singer who inherited a spooky stately manor from
her late maiden aunt. They fight crime!