[Registry] Re: LinuxRegistry in Freedesktop & KDE

C. Gatzemeier c.gatzemeier at tu-bs.de
Mon Apr 19 16:51:53 EEST 2004

Am Montag, 19. April 2004 12:23 schrieb Dave Cridland [Home]:

> I have to say, I'm still not clear on what LR actually gains us.
>
> I see it gains a uniform method for setting a key, but given that the
> semantics of the key are undefined, the key must, by inference, only be
> set by an application, or human, which is fully informed.

For the semantics I'd prefer a concept that allows to define them separately,
distributeable together with the applications, and thus shareable between
different configuration tools. AFAIK config4gnu is the only one that has this
concept at the moment.

I liked your evaluation of LR and configuration in general . Though, IMHO even
the gain of a uniform method for setting a key should not depend solely on a
uniform data storage,  as LR tries to do. Even if there would be systems with
only one overall registry (unlikely to be a free OS), the storage is somthing
that will simply be differnent on different systems (embeded, network systems
(i.e ldap etc.), different desktops distributions and so forth) and also
likely to change over time as new things come up.

However on all systems you'll want to configure at least some of the same
things. For example network ip, netmask, some services etc. Being able to
configure all of them with your favorite frontend is what would make a
difference.

Regards,
Christian