gnome-hello

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Fri Aug 6 00:42:35 EEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 14:30, George Kraft wrote:
> I'm an old X11R5/Motif programmer, so I wanted to see what a typical
> gnome application linked to. I built "gnome-hello" then ran
> lsbdepgraph.py to graphically see the dependencies.
>
> http://www.linuxbase.org/~gk4/gnomehello.png
>
> http://www.linuxbase.org/~gk4/gnomehello.dot
>
> http://www.linuxbase.org/futures/identification/depends/lsbdepgraph.py
>
> Is the dependency bloat a good think or a bad thing? :-) How does this
> impact/influence freedesktop.org in trying to define a core desktop?
> Where should the specification team start (ie., a non-gnome gtk
> application [libglib, libgtk])?

The thing you have to realize is that many of these libraries are
*not* platform libraries but rather internal dependencies of other
libraries. libcrypto or libaudiofile would be a good example of this.

Other libraries are part of the GNOME platform but not things
we would necessarily recommend a 3rd party ISV use.

The recommendation I made to Stuart at GUADEC about what the
initial target for standardization beyond Xlib for GNOME
applications should be was the GTK+ stack:

 GTK+ (libgtk, libgdk, libgdk-pixbuf)
 Pango (libpango, libpangoft2, maybe libpangoxft)
 ATK
 Glib (libglib, libgobject, libgmodule, libgthread)

(Excluding deprecated or marked-unstable functionality). Possible
 other additions,  in what I would consider priority order:

 libglade
 libgnomeprint, libgnomeprintui
 GConf
 libxml2

But the GTK+ stack by itself is a substantial chunk of API and
it may not be worth looking too far beyond that initially.

Regards,
						Owen