protocol handling spec?

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Mon Aug 9 12:10:58 EEST 2004

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 09:25:09AM +0100, Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Sat Aug  7 12:30:52 2004, Christian Neumair wrote:
> >While we've made much progress in desktop environment-independent
> >handling of MIME types, that's not the case for protocol handling.
> >I don't know all of the requirements yet, so here are some basic
> >question that come in mind when talking about protocol handlers:
> >
> >- protocol://path/file.doc != protocol://path/file.xls?,
> >  i.e. should protocol handling have any relation to MIME handling?
> >

> It's "scheme". But besides that bit of pedantry, I think it's pretty
> obvious that the answer must be yes. The real question is where -
> until the URI is resolved to some degree, we can't know the media
> type.

  W.r.t. being pedantic those are not formed as general URI they should be

protocol://authority/path/file.doc

  Where authority defines the host and login informations to be used with
the protocol.

   or

protocol:///path/file.doc

  if you reuse the same convention as the file protocol (an empty host
information means localhost).

  I suggest reading RFC 2396 to avoid subverting the URI spec(s) in
freedesktop.org own specifications, especially section 3:

    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2396.html
    3. URI Syntactic Components

Daniel