protocol handling spec?

Lars Hallberg lah at micropp.se
Mon Aug 9 12:25:28 EEST 2004

Dave Cridland wrote:

>> - protocol://path/file.doc != protocol://path/file.xls?,
>>   i.e. should protocol handling have any relation to MIME handling?
>>

> It's "scheme". But besides that bit of pedantry, I think it's pretty
> obvious that the answer must be yes. The real question is where -
> until the URI is resolved to some degree, we can't know the media type.

As a user, i want the protocol to matter for witch app to start.
Probably it's enuf for me to be able to say - for this protocol,
*always* use this app.

For exampel, I want gqview to start for jpeg images genaraly, but if
it's a http uri I want firefox to start, so I esaly can brows related
pages. I want firwfox even if it is a mediatype firefox don't handel
internaly, just to get the dialogbox asking me wheter to download or
start the 'normal' mimetype viewer! Becose all viewer don't have a 'save
as' facility, and some viewers freqvently crach. If I download the file,
I can try different viewers!

/LaH