DM communication standard

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Tue Aug 10 18:44:22 EEST 2004

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 05:28:04PM +0200, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
> As there seems to bi little chance you two match in resonable time i
> will most probabbly implement KDMs style seperatly.

yup. i mean, the extra code resulting from supporting kdm as well is
prolly less than 10 lines of code (the other direction is harder ...).
comm:
- unix sockets
- line oriented
- plain-text commands + replies
diff:
- kdm has multiple sockets (well, there is a global one as well, but you
  really want to use the per-display ones)
- kdm needs no weird auth cookie stuff, the security is based on the
  permissions of the directory the socket lives in
- tokes are separated by tabs (not spaces), everything is lowercase,
  error codes are "words" (not numbers), iow, the actual syntax differs
see kdm/kfrontend/kdmctl.c for client code.