keyboard shortcuts

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Aug 12 21:48:30 EEST 2004

On Thursday 12 August 2004 20:28, Pat Suwalski wrote:

> But, based on your analogy, If I switch from desktop 1 to desktop 3,
> next time I hit Ctrl-Tab I should be back at desktop 1.

Exactly! I think that would be useful and analogous to Alt+Tab, current
implementation is neither.

> I find that when I use KDE I usually end up switching desktops when I
> intended to switch tabs. Mozilla follows convention, not all the
> desktops do. I suppose this is why we are having this discussion.

Might depend  on the keyboard layout, I have never experienced this.

> > I think the behaviour of Alt+Tab is widely known and used, so I
> > personally see no reason why Ctrl+Tab should behave so differently,
> > especially as it seems to be meant as an analogous mechanism.
>
> Because Ctrl-Tab has done tabs as we know them since the Windows 3.1
> days. I'm not familiar with a prior implementation of this. It's a
> behaviour meny, many users are familiar with. Users know Ctrl+O opens a
> file, they know Ctrl-Tab switches to the next tab, they may know
> Ctrl-Shift-Tab switchs back a tab. If it's a specification proper we're
> after, why not adopt the accepted standards?

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. I think the IMHO broken
implementation of Ctrl+Tab for desktop switching allows to change to some
better implementation and free Ctrl+Tab for Tab switching

Cheers,
Kevin