keyboard shortcuts

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Thu Aug 12 22:05:51 EEST 2004

On Thursday 12 August 2004 20:56, Pat Suwalski wrote:
> Kevin Krammer wrote:
> >>Because Ctrl-Tab has done tabs as we know them since the Windows 3.1
> >>days. I'm not familiar with a prior implementation of this. It's a
> >>behaviour meny, many users are familiar with. Users know Ctrl+O opens a
> >>file, they know Ctrl-Tab switches to the next tab, they may know
> >>Ctrl-Shift-Tab switchs back a tab. If it's a specification proper we're
> >>after, why not adopt the accepted standards?
> >
> > There seems to be a misunderstanding here. I think the IMHO broken
> > implementation of Ctrl+Tab for desktop switching allows to change to some
> > better implementation and free Ctrl+Tab for Tab switching
>
> Oh, I understood the exact opposite. I thought you were saying that the
> Ctrl+Tab must stay as is for all the reasons you gave.

I got confused by Kevin's conclusion too, but in any case: I personally agree
that Ctrl+Tab for desktop switching in KDE could be dropped, but of course
this needs wider discussion with kde people.

> Perhaps the discussion should move to how virtual desktops should
> behave. A specification here would be welcomed, I'm sure.

/me uses Ctrl+F1/F2/F3 (and KDE lets users configure Ctrl+Alt+arrows if they like it)

> Still, in terms of Ctrl+Tab, what does plain Qt do with that binding? Is
> it tab switching?

I checked, and you're right, it does.

            if ( ( ke->key() == Qt::Key_Tab || ke->key() == Qt::Key_Backtab ) &&
                 count() > 1 &&
                 ke->state() & Qt::ControlButton ) {
                    [ ...test for Shift, and switch to another page... ]

(qtabwidget.cpp)