we need a spec for handling mediums

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Sat Aug 14 19:08:17 EEST 2004

Kristof Vansant wrote:

>I was thinking,
>where can programme"s store that they can handle a surten medium.
>I mean like gtoaster can register somewhere that it handles empty cdr
>or xine that it handles DVD and SVCD.
>
>projects like gvm can then use this to know with what program they
>should use to read a dvd, cdr or svcd

This should probably be done the same way the new MIME spec works.  Each
app adds a field to it's .desktop file stating which mediums it can
handle and what command to run to handle it.  Configuration programs can
then show a list of these and let the use set their prefered handler in
the desktop system's preferences manager (GConf, whatever).

The .desktop entries might look something like:

HandleMedia=Storage;/usr/bin/nautilus %m
HandleMedia=Camera;/usr/bin/gphoto %d

And so on.  %m would be replaced with mount path (for devices where that
makes sense), %d would be the device identifier (probably a HAL ID, so
as to be system agnostic) and so on.