we need a spec for handling mediums

Joseph Wenninger jowenn at kde.org
Sat Aug 14 18:48:00 EEST 2004

Hi

On Sat, 2004-08-14 at 16:43, Kristof Vansant wrote:
> I was thinking,
> where can programme"s store that they can handle a surten medium.
> I mean like gtoaster can register somewhere that it handles empty cdr
> or xine that it handles DVD and SVCD.
>
> projects like gvm can then use this to know with what program they
> should use to read a dvd, cdr or svcd

For something similiar ( right now only for mounted/unmounted devices) I
have a special io slave in KDE, which is called "devices" and provides a
protocol with the same name, which shows you partitions and cdroms and
the entries have mimetypes like kdedevice/cdwriter_mounted,
kdedevice/cdwriter_unmounted, .... Similiar things are planned for audio
cd's and empty media, so in the end it would be a mimetype <->
application mapping. This works for cameras and other mobile devices too
already
Of course if it is more than a directory access, the application would
need to know how to decode the url (or use a small wrapper) to get eg a
device node if needed.

Kind regards
Joseph Wenninger