keyboard shortcuts

Pat Suwalski pat at suwalski.net
Mon Aug 16 19:05:39 EEST 2004

Calum Benson wrote:
> In GNOME, at least, Ctrl-Tab already has at least two uses[1] that could
> conflict with using it to switch notebook tabs, which is why we
> originally went with the more universal Ctrl-PgUp/PgDn (the only
> shortcut that worked in all Java, Mozilla and Windows tabs IIRC, at
> least at that time).  What sensible keybindings could we use for these
> other functions instead?

And it's wonderfully consistent across all those. I think that the issue
is specifically with what Ctrl-Tab does. I believe that the original
author of the thread, a KDE user, noted that Ctrl-Tab isn't consistent
with other desktop systems, and he was wondering if a freedesktop spec
might remedy that.

The answer is that it might, but it may not be worth an entire spec. As
was pointed out during the thread, even Qt binds Ctrl-Tab to tab
cycling. It was the KDE guys who made it into desktop cycling. This
decision was justified by one of them a few eMails back.

So, I don't know. I'm happy with how my tabs work in all the desktops I
use, except where it's different in KDE. I am not as familiar with the
KDE project as I am with Gnome, and I don't want to sound like some sort
of biggot imposing that KDE change its default bindings. In the end, I
think it's up to them. A freedesktop spec might sway someone into
putting in the same bindings everyone else does, but since KDE is the
exception and not the rule, I'm beginning to feel it's their call.

At least one of the @kde.org guys was in favour of doing something about
Ctrl-Tab. Perhaps he can comment further or invoke change on their end.

--Pat