Trash mechanism

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Wed Aug 25 03:36:58 EEST 2004

Hi there,

I'm about to rework the Trash handling in KDE.
I managed to find the old conversation (*) where a few kde and nautilus
hackers started discussing on the gnome-kde-list about a common format for
the data under ~/.Trash, but nothing came out of it (mainly because the Corel
people who promised to implement it in kde, disappeared).

Is there some interest in a common standard for trashed files?

Could someone tell me if Nautilus uses some kind of metadata file already,
to store the original location of the file, the date of deletion, the original mtime etc.?

If not, how does it store the files currently, under the .Trash directory?
Simply keeping the initial directory layout?

I found some info on the .Trash-$USER thing for other writable partitions,
what's mainly missing is the metadata stuff, and how to organize things under
the .Trash directories (e.g. as suggested on
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-kde-list/2000-December/msg00026.html)

(*) http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-kde-list/2000-December/msg00022.html