Trash mechanism

C. Gatzemeier c.gatzemeier at tu-bs.de
Wed Aug 25 13:27:10 EEST 2004

Hi!

> Is there some interest in a common standard for trashed files?

Sure, there was a (desktop level) "Trash can" thread here some time ago and on
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=107387189431930&w=2

Though, I prefer the system level solution, maybe the desktop could do it
itself in a compatible way in absense of libtrash and rely (nicely frontend)
on libtrash if it is available on the system.

Genreric and global even for filesystems without native undelete feature:
http://m-arriaga.net/software/libtrash/

I like libtrash because it does not require patching any apps to use expicit
"tra" or similar calls. I'm sure that if I will ever need a file back I would
probably got rid of it with an unpatched/"aware" app otherwise ;-)

Cheers,
Christian