Trash mechanism

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Wed Aug 25 17:46:08 EEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 07:33 -0700, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> --- Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:

> > I totally disagree.
> >
> > If the specification is widely misinterpreted, then
> > the specification
> > is broken.
>
> Let me explain. Lets take the freedesktop menu spec as
> an example. its a relatively big spec and everytime a
> implementation is created by kde,gnome,xfce and rox
> there is a chance that they may do something slightly
> different where things might be ambigous or where they
> interpt it differently

The point remains.  If the spec *is* ambiguous or there is disagreement
on the interpretation, the spec is broken, and a revision needs to be
released that clears up the matter.

> > If a particular implementation has glitches or
> > misinterpretations,
> > the implementation is broken.
> >

> sure. the implementation can be considered broken. I
> am just saying that the we have a high chance of
> having some obscure bugs in the implementation. whats
> wrong with sharing code as much as possible to avoid
> these problems

Code sharing should always be encouraged, yes.  If there isn't a really
good reason to write a whole second implementation, why waste your time
and resources writing it?

Now, granted, there often are good reasons.  One is language binding.
For a lot of libraries, the cost in terms of development time and
debugging and resources and such for the original library plus the
bindings can be higher than simply reimplementing the library natively
in the target language.  Obviously for complex libraries this will often
not be the case; a complex spec doesn't necessarily need complex code to
handle, however.

> regards
> Rahul Sundaram
> > Dave.