Trash mechanism

C. Gatzemeier c.gatzemeier at tu-bs.de
Sat Aug 28 22:12:08 EEST 2004

Am Friday 27 August 2004 18:21 schrieb David Faure:

> Given that we need additional info in the file (the full path to the
> initial file) I don't see the point of moving the date of deletion into the
> filename of the info file, if we still need an info file anyway.

hmm, thought with the date "attached" we could spare us the separate meta info
file tree if a file is moved to a trash subdirectory that corresponds to its
original location. Then all info is available, and actually stored completely
in the specialy treated filesystem's meta-data.

This suggestion would be only for the trash directory format on the filesystem
thoug. A desktop frontend (URI) to it could of course show all filenames in
one view and show the deletion date and original location separate from the
filename, as properties maybe in the second and third column of the list for
example.

A trash format that makes sense on the filesystem level could be used and
coherently improved on the desktop level, too.  Whereas it may be less likely
the other way around.

Cheers,
Christian