Trash spec: need decisions on some points

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Aug 30 11:09:49 EEST 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 00:36, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am preparing the Trash Spec now.
>
> I started with a careful reading of the thread. And I see some
> (relatively minor) issues that are as yet unresolved. I propose
> resolving them somehow, so that the spec can be complete.
>
> 1. Absolute vs. relative "original location" in the info files. If it's
> absolute (/mnt/flash/dir/origfile.ext), then things get broken on
> removable media as soon as it's mounted in a different point, i.e. on a
> different machine.
>
> I propose allowing both relative and absolute location values. A
> relative value must be from $topdir (where the .Trash dir resides) and
> must not contain ".."; it is used for "usual" move-to-trash operations.
> An absolute value can be used for trashing-by-copy; an implementation
> can choose to only honor absolute values in $HOME/.Trash (?)

This is not the only case when you need an absolute path if you do this.
Say you have /mnt/hdb1, and a symlink /opt/foobar -> /mnt/hdb1/foobar
(very common setup). Then you can trash stuff in /opt/foobar that ends
up in /mnt/hdb1/.Trash/. Same with $HOME/.Trash, its not only used for
stuff under $HOME, but the whole partition that $HOME is stored on
(which for many systems is the one and only partition the whole OS is
on).

So, in many cases we need absolute filenames. Its just for removable
media we don't want them.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a jaded dishevelled dog-catcher plagued by the memory of his family's
brutal murder. She's a transdimensional punk wrestler from beyond the grave.
They fight crime!