Trash spec: need decisions on some points

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Aug 30 16:45:06 EEST 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 13:32, David Faure wrote:

> I think the other-partitions case still needs input from Alexander before we
> can write the spec on that part.

Another thing that we should consider is compatibility with existing
systems. Gnome currently uses $HOME/.Trash, which conflicts with this
spec. Its easy for later versions of Gnome to check for the "info"
directory, and if it doesn't exist migrate the files there into the new
format. However, what about people using older versions of Gnome at the
same time as the new KDE or Gnome. It will show the info and files
directory in trash:// and let you delete them.

I'm not sure there is a good way to handle this though, other than
having another name for the directory.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a lonely white trash librarian looking for 'the Big One.' She's a
virginal hypochondriac stripper who can talk to animals. They fight crime!