Trash specification, version 0.1

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Aug 30 11:23:51 EEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 00:42, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The Trash specification, version 0.1, is available here:
>
> http://www.ramendik.ru/docs/trashspec.html
>
> The planned "Implementation notes" section, currently a stub, will
> include the access and other issues encountered with $topdir/.Trash.
> I'll wait for feedback before writing it.
>
> Any comments, changes, etc. are welcome.
>
> P.S. It's in HTML, as generated by OpenOffice.org (with minor
> corrections). We can convert it to DocBook later if this is necessary;
> OpenOffice.org has a tool for this.
>
> P.S.2.I can easily host the document on ramendik.ru at this point, but
> of course it will need to go to freedesktop.org if it becomes accepted.
> I'd suggest waiting for a stable version before putting it on
> freedesktop.org.

I think its clear we should use $HOME/.Trash for the whole device that
has $HOME on it, not only files inside $HOME. The spec doesn't seem to
say this.

> It may also choose to create .Trash directories in Top directories of
> some mounted file systems. How these directories are created (by the
> system administrator, a daemon, etc.) is determined by the
> implementation.

Not determined by the implementation. Determined by the spec, but not
finished yet.

The spec says "$topdir/.Trash/user". I'd prefer "$topdir/.Trash/$uid",
since it contains no strange characters, and the filesystem permissions
are tied to the uid, not the username which can change. (The uid is the
numerical id of the user)

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a fast talking pirate assassin moving from town to town, helping folk in
trouble. She's a high-kicking goth queen of the dead with an incredible
destiny. They fight crime!