Trash spec 0.2, technical questions

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Aug 30 13:31:43 EEST 2004

On Mon Aug 30 10:04:38 2004, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Version 0.2 of the Trash Spec is now available. The location is
> unchanged:
>
> http://www.ramendik.ru/docs/trashspec.html
>
> Thanks to Dave Cridland and Alexander Larsson for speedy feedback.

Mine being purely document-orientated, I hasten to add.

> Dave has brought up some questions (rather technical) that I feel
> should
> be solved in the list. Namely:
>
> - Does the document need to be copyrighted and licensed? Currently
> it
> has a license but no copyright statement; this is likely to be
> meaningless. I don't want to copyright it alone because the
> substance of
> the content is not mine. Perhaps it should be a joint copyright by
> David, Alexander and me? (And is the current license in the text
> OK?) Or
> is it better to slap "public domain" on it? Or just to leave it
> with no
> copyright statement?

I think Mikhail ought to own sole copyright on this, indeed I feel he
does already, but has failed to assert this. It's the expression of
ideas, of course, which is copyrightable, and never the ideas
themselves, and that expression is solely Mikhail's. If
freedesktop.org later feels that copyright needs to be owned by some
specific entity, then reassignments are trivial.

I also believe that, as Mikhail is doing this partly to increase his
portfolio, it gains him more to assert his personal copyright anyway,
thus in effect 'paying' him for his excellent work.

> - Currently I use $topdir for "a top directory" and $trash for "a
> trash
> directory". But these are not real environment variables. Perhaps
> <topdir> and <trash>, or just topdir and trash (in italic script),
> should be used instead?

Not italic, please. The document needs to remain readable with a
single font.

Dave.