Trash specification, version 0.1

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Aug 30 18:31:32 EEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 16:06, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> > > If so, we need to provide for "escaping". But then, other files (like
> > > *.desktop) probably had to deal with this somehow. What is the solution
> > > there?
> >
> > It uses \n escaping.
>
> And escapes \ as \\ ?

I think so.

> > > But is an epoch number portable across operating systems and
> > > architectures?
> >
> > How could it not be? Its the number of seconds since the epoch (00:00:00
> > UTC, January 1, 1970). Its what the posix time() function returns. It is
> > also how ctime, mtime and atime are stored in the structure returned
> > from stat(). So, its not like its an uncommon format for file times.
>
> So you would prefer a hexadecimal representation of the epoch number, in
> UTC?

hex, or dec. Doesn't matter. All other a/m/c times are in local times,
so i think thats what most obvious.

> (I now tend to think both UTC and local time are needed, to satisfy
> automatic filters on local time. But we need to reach a consensus on
> what time(s) are needed and in what format, before I write this into the
> spec).

I doubt it a UTC time is needed in addition to local time. I mean, unix
managed for all this time with only localtime mtime.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a shy hunchbacked farmboy trapped in a world he never made. She's a
sharp-shooting African-American soap star from the wrong side of the tracks.
They fight crime!