Migration of windows between displays

Matthew Allum mallum at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 19:37:18 EET 2004

Hi;

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 08:59:32 -0500, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:

> I think it is mainly a quality of implementation question for the
> "mover" that it doesn't lock up if the moved application doesn't return
> status feedback. Using a timeout should be good enough to ensure that.
> Maybe that should be mentioned in the spec.

Yes agreed.. I think it would be good to make it clear the original
window is closed after the new ones creation has been successful.

> > Would it be useful to have a property on migrated windows indicating there
> > originating display ? This would be useful for 'returning' windows.
>
> Yes, my implementation does that. Not sure if it needs to be part of the
> migration protocol itself. We also have to think about cases like moving
> a window which already has the property, what should happen in that
> case ?

Maybe store a history of displays  ? With the first entry being the original. ?

The spec could recommend not require this.

Its kind of odd to know how useful this would be though. Maybe just
storing the initial originating display is enough.

> > Would _NET_USE_DISPLAY be better naming ? Im just thinking about the
> > case of *mirroring* apps on another display which the above could be
> > used for ( via setting some key=value ).
>
> "mirroring" as in showing on both displays ?

Yes. ( like emacs m-x make-frame-on-display iirc )

regards;

  -- Matthew