Importance of xdg specifications

Chas Honton chonton at xteric.com
Fri Dec 3 15:49:45 EET 2004

Yesterday I was going to write some Java code which examined aspects of
.desktop files.  I looked for the
Desktop Entry Specification and found that it was not available at
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fdesktop_2dentry_2dspec.  I
looked for it in the CVS tree and couldn't find it.  Then I did a google
search for desktop entry spec.  Every hit points back to the freedesktop
website (which currently has inactive links).  Even gnome and kde
documentation points back to freedesktop.org.

This made me realize how important the work of freedesktop participants
is.  Thanks to everyone who has had a hand in creating an xdg
specification.  Your work makes a big difference to developers and end
users.

Additionally, thanks to everyone for the tremendous effort in restoring
the xdg website.

Could someone please send me an active link to the Desktop Entry
Specification?

Thanks,
chas