Common VFS: GKIO experiment

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Wed Dec 8 03:09:28 EET 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 16:57 -0800, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi

> fuse has been proposed for inclusion in the linux
> kernel and you might able to implement your ideas on
> top of it. I know a kio layer already exists for fuse
> by the polypaudio developer

I was thinking about the whole time I wrote that mail up.  Unfortunately
I haven't seen a whole lot of FUSE to get a good judgement on it.  Off
the top of my head, though, it seems like it being an actual kernel VFS
system might not be so hot.  It's extra over-head and requires you to
mount any virtual file systems you want to use.

If you want perfect unmodified application access to various remote
resources, sure, FUSE could indeed be the answer.  For a general purpose
application-oriented VFS, especially if we want to use a more modern,
more approachable API, FUSE is probably not the right answer.