Common VFS: GKIO experiment

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Thu Dec 9 02:01:15 EET 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 00:56 +0100, nf wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 03:45, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > >
> > The fact that at GNOME 2.8, SMB browsing (one of the most important
> > protocols) *still* doesn't work reliably for many users?  The fact that
> > most GNOME apps, even after 2 years of the 2.x series, still do not
> > fully (if at all) support GNOME's own VFS API?  Even the basic text-
> > editor GNOME ships with refuses to write to gnome-vfs shares.  I'm an
> > avid GNOME user, I generally don't touch Qt or KDE, but I do envy KIO -
> > the few times I've used it, it's worked flawlessly.
>
> But i am sure all those Gnome-VFS problems will be fixed soon anyway.
> The pressure it very high on that.

Ya, I've been saying that for two years... ;-)

> I think what rules out the "two library" approach is sessions. Consider

Ah, great point.

> My favorite example: You open a SMB or FTP location with nautilus. You
> type in your username and password to authenticate and browse the share.
> Then you fire up K3B to burn a file from this share to a cd. You don't
> want to authenticate again. You want a single session in between your
> desktop and the network server, regardless which applications you use.

Yes, again, good point.  General sharing of user credentials is probably
possible in another way, but there's no way to get good sharing of
connections without using the same underlying codebase (well, daemon,
actually - you could use different client-library implementations, I
guess).

Good luck with your efforts.