Common VFS: GKIO experiment

Rüdiger Kuhlmann info at ruediger-kuhlmann.de
Thu Dec 9 18:56:36 EET 2004

>--[nf]--<nf2 at scheinwelt.at>

> I think the event-loop gap has to be closed anyway to be able to write
> common libraries more easily in the future. And i have already proved
> that this is solvable by running the whole KDE on top of glib main loop.

After having spent substantially time porting gtk-gnutella to Windows I can
tell you that basing anything on glib sounds like a pretty bad idea. In
particularly anything KDE, <flame>which is based on something that actually
works...</flame>

Anyway, in my opinion you should gather some more knowledge about KDE and
then rethink your strategy. If you already have KIOSlaves for almost
everything that simply work, I don't see any compelling reason for KDE to
adopt gnome-vfs if the latter provides fewer functionality and stability. If
you adopt KIOSlaves for GNOME -- maybe improving it on your way --, don't
you think you'd have more success that way?

Just my 2¢...

--
"See, free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack
 each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction."